The best reason to get California car insurance: It’s the law.
But there are plenty of practical reasons that you will want to have your vehicle insured. Experts say every driver will be in at least one accident in his or her life. Depending on the severity of the accident — and how much damage or injuries are caused — a single car accident can create a financial calamity.
Having the proper level of car insurance will protect your property, your wallet and your peace of mind.
You can’t put your car on the road without car insurance in California, so we suggest visiting https://california-insurance.net/california-car-insurance/. You can’t even register your vehicle or renew your registration without proof of insurance. Your insurance company will provide a card that can serve as proof of insurance. It will show your car’s information, including make, model, year, safety rating and value; your name and the names of any other drivers included on your policy; and the expiration date of your policy. This card is replaced each time you renew your policy or if you get a new one from another provider.
California auto insurance providers are required to report coverage to the Department of Motor Vehicles. The DMV can use these records to check if you have coverage, or if you don’t.
Penalties for not having California car insurance
If you are pulled over in California, or if you are involved in an accident, you will be required to show proof of insurance. If you can’t, you are subject to a number of penalties, including:
- Fines of $100 to $200 for a first offense
- Fines of $200 to $500 for subsequent offenses within the following three years
- Impounding of your vehicle until you can show proof of insurance
- Possible suspension of your registration
Your registration can be suspended in California if:
- The DMV is notified that your insurance has been canceled and you don’t replace it within 45 days
- The DMV does not receive your car insurance information within 30 days of your car’s registration or transfer of ownership
- You provided false evidence of insurance when you registered your car
The DMV will send you a letter if your registration has been suspended for non-insurance. You can re-register your car with proof of insurance at a cost of $14. But remember, if you have been found not to have insurance, companies will likely add a premium to your rate because of this.
Search now for qualified California car insurance quotes and keep more money in your pocket.
Categories: Car Insurance